Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Trip to Texas!

             Over the long weekend, Ethan and I got to take a trip to see my favorite family. I must say, it was so wonderful! After the long drive we had, it was so nice to walk into a home where I felt so welcomed and loved. After many hugs, the son was so excited to have people to play with. And trust me, I was excited to play with him again! He is so fun, sweet, and smart!
          I was amazed at how non-emotional the weekend was. No tears were shed, no pain was had by any of us (except for a couple of sleepy kids once in a while). I was so genuinely happy to see the family as a whole, not just the one I happened to give birth to. She is a giant! I could not believe how big and smart she is! Although she is not talking quite yet, she has a lot to say. She also zips all over the house, crawling as fast as she can. And she had been able to hold onto something and stand herself up for a while, but she is not walking just yet. It is only a matter of time, I am sure.
      As a special treat, the family took us to their favorite seafood place in Galveston. It was pretty tasty, and definitely the freshest fish I've ever had. After that, we took a little walk on the beach, an extra special treat just for me, since they knew how much I desperately love the ocean. Now, I know it was technically the gulf, and I know it was not the prettiest beach that has ever been, but I still treasured it. I have only gotten to see the ocean four times now and I relish in it every time I can. As we walked along, I picked up a perfect little shell to mark the occasion.

I love this seashell. It is so perfect and small. And it really represents the time we had with the family. It was small, entirely too short, but it was perfect. I would not trade it for anything, even if I was totally swamped and exhausted this week. I am so grateful to God for the gift of that family, for their presence in my life.
       After the beach, we went around the historic parts of Galveston, which I of course loved. We went to an old fashioned confectionery and ice cream parlor. So fun! One of my favorite parts of the weekend was when we had breakfast together the morning Ethan and I had to leave. We had pumpkin coffee cake with it and the little one tried some. She loved it so much! It made me laugh because my biggest craving while I was pregnant was pumpkin. I wanted it all the time. I was sure that since I wanted it so much while I was pregnant, the baby would not like pumpkin at all once she was born. I was wrong!
      After we departed, we stopped for a lovely dinner at Ethan's Aunt's house. It was so fun! And I got to play with some sweet doggies, which I always enjoy.
      I am so grateful for my trip to Texas. Even if the drivers there really tried to kill me and Ethan! It was so nice to see people that are so constantly on my mind and my heart. I really hope they come to treasure the visits as much as I do someday. Or at least realize how very much they mean to me. I love them. I love Ethan. And I love God for the gifts he has given me. I am so blessed to live in a time where Open Adoption exists. I do not know what I would do if I had lost my daughter completely, instead of gaining a family I love.  I cannot imagine the pain that comes with. I am so blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment