Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Energy Paradox

      As you grow older, or are pregnant, or experiencing grief, I have some advice. Get up, and do something. I have been so tired since I got pregnant. All the time I think about how I would like to nap and stay in bed all day. And from time to time, I'll indulge myself and just do it. Especially after the baby, I stayed in bed for weeks. I just didn't have the energy. It sounded too exhausting to get up and be a person. I know you have to allow yourself time to heal, but I was more interested in allowing myself time to assimilate as a new part of my bed.
    The kicker is I never ever ever feel refreshed or re-energized or invigorated. I just feel more exhausted. Always.
    However, on days when I am exercising, working, doing several things at once, I always have the energy for it. I get my stuff together and I manage to look like a real person for once. It's so strange. You would think the less I do, the more bored and energetic I would get, and the more I do, the more exhausted I would be.
       Herein lies the paradox of energy. You have to do things to feel energy. You have to get up, use your muscles and your mind to feel well. Lying around just makes you tired and sore. In fact, the fastest way I know to make myself feel better is to do something for someone else. They may not be grateful or whatever, but at least you got out of your own head and tiredness and age and did something nice. That is a really good thing. I think Ethan had gained weight (that he is losing) because I just kept making him food so I would could accomplish something for someone else.
   So get up. Run around. Dance. Tell a joke. Bake some cookies, and instead of eating them all, give them to someone who isn't expecting it. Lying around wallowing in dead skin cells and dust mites isn't going to make you feel better, but getting outside of yourself for a while just might. God made us this way. So use your muscles, your mind, and your heart while you can.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment