Sunday, August 4, 2013

My body

I think one of the scarier things looming over my pregnant, hormonal brain was my appearance. As I ballooned more and more I got so terrified I would never look the same again. That I would never get the weight off. That the baby weight would cling to me like my sadness and every one would who met me would still see what I had just gone through. I know it's vane of me, but I won't pretend that pride isn't my biggest fault. I was an acting student at the time: I had to look good. And Ethan being the sweet, wonderful, sympathetic man he is, and my partner in crime, he gained almost as much weight as I did. It was hard for both of us after the excuse was gone. We started going to the gym and tried to eat better, but progress was slow, at least at first. I cheated; I dropped quite a lot of weight as soon as we left the hospital, but Ethan had to struggle with it. It was so admirable of him, though. A few months ago he started counting his calories and trying to make a change in his life. When I asked him why, he said, "because I want to look good enough to deserve you." Wow. I love that man. It pushed me (slowly, I'll admit) to start counting my own calories and trying to get more active. And I must say, I am so glad that I did. I am so much happier with the way I look than I did at the beginning of the summer. Now, I'm not saying I'm happy because I look hot or sexy or skinny. I am happy because I feel good. Because I fit into the size I want. Because I look good enough to deserve Ethan. And because I look the way I picture myself in my head. It's a wonderful feeling. Immediately after having my girl, I was at about 150 pounds. Now I'm at a very comfortable 120. It feels so great! However, I'm not saying I am the same as I was before. I have changed, and I can't ever go back, but I am not ashamed of my stretch marks like I was (that does NOT mean I will ever show them off) or the scars I bear. I am different. But that's okay. I was so scared I would never feel beautiful again, and I still have days that I don't. But it takes one look from that man who loves me to reassure me that I really, truly am a beautiful creation of God. And really, what more could I ask for?

3 comments:

  1. Margie, I just read all of these posts and I just want to say that it is really beautiful. Your honesty is real and I'm proud of you for sharing and for even going through with adoption. Your story is unique and I'm so inspired by your trust in God throughout all of this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am so glad you found this and read it. I have so much respect for you and I was so afraid I had lost your good opinion. Really, it means so much to me.

      Delete
  2. Abigail (a.k.a your best friend)August 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

    Every post I read, I get misty eyes. Although, I was part of this journey nothing could prepare me to read these. I cannot even express to you how proud I am of you, I know I have told you that, but I truly am. I love the honesty and depth. People are going to be changed whether it be in opinion or changed in a decision to give their own baby up for adoption. You are making a difference and inspiring others. Keep on going with this, I am so proud!

    ReplyDelete